Saturday, February 18, 2017

"Surrealism, black, white, and one color"
I just finished this piece. With the awful, nighttime lighting, I wasn't able to get a good picture of this drawing. I was only able to spend a few days on this, so I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out. I think I captured the emotion of grief pretty well. I wanted to a do a portrait of a child because they are much more willing to fully experience their emotions. This piece speaks to the heaviness of emotion, and to society's response to it. The young girl has a rose growing out of her mouth-- seen as beautiful by some (I don't like them because they look artificial AND they have thorns). Coming to feed on this rose is a hummingbird whose belly, head, and wings are slightly yellow as if dyed by the nectar of this flower. Too often, I see people who are drowning in pain or grief and still try as hard as possible to keep a happy face forward. Not for themselves, but rather to protect (continue to feed) those around them.
Pencil, Colored Pencil on Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment